I’ve contacted Crown Agents, who my grandfather used to work for. They are currently celebrating their 175th Anniversary. Henry worked for Crown Agents in Nigeria and Sierra Leone. In 1935 as Superintendant of Government Press 3 in Kaduna, Northern Nigeria and in 1939 in Sierra Leone.
I know it was a long time ago, but I wondered if they would have any records relating to Henry’s service with them.
I know I shouldn’t hope for anything, but if they had something like a date of birth, it might help to confirm which Henry Hedges is mine.
The software that I use to remove living people from my GEDCOM file, Res Privata, appears to have disappeared from the Internet. I can find the Res Privata website in the Wayback Machine , but the live site no longer exists. I have tried searching for the author Naibor as well, but all I find is links to the old location, http://www.users.bigpond.com/naibor/rpriv.html.
I do have a copy of the install file in case I ever need it. I guess with the privacy features of modern family tree software, this is probably not needed by many people. You just get used to working in a certain way, and for me it did the job well
I have made some changes to the layout of my online family tree pages.
This has included splitting the pages up so that only one family is on a page instead of the 10 that were previously on each page. The software that I use to create the pages from my GEDCOM file, GED4WEB, was unable to set to 1 group per page through it’s options; it kept defaulting back to 10. However, the settings for the program are stored in the computers registry, so if you are confident about editing the registry, you can make the changes there and they work.
The location of the values is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Papineau\GED4WEB
The values I changed were Groups Decendancy and Groups Pedigree, both were set to 1
The usual disclaimer about editing the registry applies. Make sure you have backups and know what you are doing, mistakes editing the registry can cause your computer to fail to start or work properly.
I also added a redirect in my .htaccess file with a permanentÂ (301) redirect for all old ‘Database’ pages to the new ‘database’ location:
RedirectMatch 301 ^/Database/(.*)$ http://family.ijhedges.com/database/$1
This worked perfectly, however, after the changes I made above, the old pages will not match the new pages, so any old links would find the wrong data. I have to remove it, but still, I’ll mention it so I have it for referance and for anyone else who might need something similar.
While checking the links on my revamped family tree website, I clicked on the link to the British Library page for the Northern Provinces News. This took me to the logon page of the Integrated Catalogue, no problem, I’d just search for the newspaper and get the new link.
However, the catalogue does not have any entry for the newspaper. I even searched for it in both native language names.
I have emailed the library, and hope they can shed some light on it.
Edit: 4th July 2008. After reading the auto-reply to my email, I searched the catalogue again and found the entry. You have to select the newspaper subset search instead of searching the full catalogue.
I have given this site a makeover. It now uses WordPress, which will make it easier for me to maintain.
I’ll try to post updates on my research as I follow leads and search new resources.